It's no secret that we're a big fan of Vela
, a couture scarves line led by our very own model-of-past Marwa Atik and her sister Tasneem Atik-Sabri. The sister-duo will be making their second debut on Fashion Fighting Famine's runway in June, this time with their Spring 2012 collection, as well as a sneak-peak of their 2012/2013 collection. Designer Marwa Atik took a brief moment with our team to share her style advice and more.
Vela Scarves. Designer Marwa Atik donning her favorite piece from the new Vela collection, a Mint Bella scarf.
FFF: What inspires you?
MA: I'm inspired by the challenge if that makes any sense. I normally challenge myself to design something that has never been done before. So it is basically a black and white flat sketch of something that I want to incorporate on a scarf that I believe has never been incorporated. After I feel like I've pushed the boundaries, from there I take into consideration recent trends in colors, textures, and prints. I get inspired by the many designers I love to follow: Ellie Saab, Karl Lagerfeld, Chloe, Alexander McQueen, Prabal Gurung, Zuhair Murad, and YSL.
FFF: What are your favorite stores to shop at?
MA: Brandy Melville, Zara, Urban Outfitters, Bloomingdales sale section, and Downtown L.A. boutiques for the good buys!
FFF: What is your favorite piece from your latest collection and why?
MA: The Mint Bella because the pastel color is so on trend this Spring season - we are seeing a new wave of teals and mints!
FFF: What have been the challenges that you've faced as a designer?
MA: The biggest challenge was definitely working to meet the high demands we so quickly received on our scarves. Of course, this is a great challenge for a new company to have, but since I've been a full-time student at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM), it has meant that my sister and I have had to work very hard to meet growing demands. Running a business involves so many details and requires so much mental and physical energy. So much work goes on behind the scenes, and time management is a huge challenge that we've faced.
FFF: What charitable efforts are you passionate about and how are you involved in them?
MA: We're very passionate about humanitarian efforts and thus hold "Shop for a Cause" events where we donate a percentage of proceeds to charity. We like to be active in our local communities and find ways to help donate our scarves to various events to be auctioned for charity. For the past two years, Vela has also been a part of "Hijab Day" at the University of California, Irvine - we made the scarves that were passed out to the students to wear as part of the Hijab Day challenge. We like to help and make a difference any where we can!
FFF: What is one piece of fashion advice you swear by?
MA: A black, long-sleeve, flowy top! Often times, I style chic pieces together, but they don't meet my requirements to stay modest. So when the edgy blouse that I picked out doesn't cover my bum, or it only has quarter-sleeves, slipping under a black flowy top does the trick.
Thanks for catching up Marwa - we can't wait to see Vela on our runway
on June 3rd!
Caftans are all the rage this season - and who's to say forever? These one piece, robe-like garments
add so much versatility to a wardrobe. Here are six reasons you should be a caftan, right now.
- Comfortable. As the temperature starts to rise and we transition into warmer weather, the last thing we want to be doing is sweating uncomfortably in multiple layers of clothing. Caftans are loose, flowing outfits that are just as comfortable as they are gorgeous. So ditch those stifling jeans and worn-out cardigans, and opt for a breezy and beautiful caftan instead!
- No More Matching. We’ve all been there: frantically searching for a top to match a perfect new skirt with five minutes to spare before going out, or looking more like a frumpy grandma than a fashionista with the ill-fitting cardigan over a maxi dress. With a caftan, it’s one easy piece and you’re ready to go. Fashionable, flattering, far-from-frumpy, caftans are a must-have for an updated summer wardrobe.
- Perfect for any Occasion. With that busy social calendar, we know you're struggling to figure out what to wear to the upcoming weddings, graduation parties, and oh my goodness - Eid is right around the corner: "What am I going to wear?!" Lucky for you, a caftan is as versatile as it is stunning, making it suitable for all occasions from that daytime soiree to an elegant ballroom setting.
- Effortlessly Modest. With the sun blazing down on us, it becomes increasingly difficult to dress for hot weather without sacrificing our modesty. Sleeveless tops and short dresses dominate clothing stores, leaving those of us looking for a little more coverage with few choices. Look no further, girls! Say goodbye to your wardrobe woes, and embrace the modest, yet weather appropriate caftan. The lightness and fluidity of the fabric allows for a modest silhouette, while keeping us looking and feeling cool throughout the summer months.
- Beautiful Colors. The days are getting brighter and brighter, so why not update our wardrobes to match? Made in every color imaginable, caftans are vibrant and perfect for summer! With bold colors, to-die-for embellishments, and breath-taking detail, caftans are sure to be a statement piece in your wardrobe. Gorgeous options in jewel tones are also perfect options for transitioning into Fall/Winter seasons.
- Flattering on Everyone. Last, but absolutely not least, caftans are perfect for any body type. Whether you’re tall, short, or in between, a caftan will flatter your figure. Since they are not body-hugging and found in every possible color, you will definitely be able to find a caftan that works for you.
Marena Y Sol
Marena Y Sol
Now, the all important question: "Where can I buy a caftan?" Look no further than our runway ladies! We have a stunning line-up of caftans from designers Marena Y Sol
on our runway and sold in our Shop for a Cause
sessions this June 3rd, 2012 at our 2012 Fashion Show!
Prices begin as low as $100 and go upwards to $300. With affordable options for every woman, you'll never want to search for a matching long-sleeve shirt or cardigan to make an evening gown wearable again! Caftans: they really are the solution to all your problems.
Are you ready for a contest? You could have a chance to win this Juicy Couture Star-Shine Sequin Velour Shoulder Bag (Retail Value $298)! To enter, you must purchase a ticket to the Fashion Fighting Famine 2012 Fashion Show online
now through April 30, 2012. One (1) Winner will be selected at random, and you must be a Facebook fan
Have YOU bought your tickets to the Fashion Fighting Famine 2012 Fashion Show yet? Hurry and get your tickets today! Tickets are $35 for General Tickets and $75 for Front-Row Passes! And the Front-Row Passes are selling quickly! We can't wait to see you at our best and biggest show yet!
Not sure what to wear to the Fashion Fighting Famine 2012 Fashion Show? Don’t lay out your maxi-dress and cardigan just yet--we have some great ideas to freshen up your style! You won’t be afraid to strike a pose on our red carpet with these adorable outfits.
Channel your inner hippie with these bohemian chic ideas. Long, flowy skirts are all the rage this season, and not only do these modest skirts cover up, they are also incredibly stylish. With retailers like Forever 21, Zara and Nordstrom carrying this styles, bohemian fashion is sure to be a hit at this year’s Fashion Fighting Famine. It’s a great alternative to our favorite maxi dress!
You can pull off the look by wearing a flowy skirt, tuck in a solid shirt and top it off with a colored blazer (Forever 21 and H&M both have affordable blazers). The icing on the cake for this outfit will be some bangles, a long chain necklace and some chunky wedges
and you’ve got your audience style set!
Alternatively, a great feminine approach to this style would be this fantastic tangerine pleated skirt from Zara
paired with a simple black top and a lace balero
. Not into tangerine? Then try this nude lace skirt from Forever 21
to achieve that feminine chic style. To accessorize, you can pair this look with gem stone necklaces and a statement ring.
Now if you aren’t interested in skirting it up at Fashion Fighting Famine, linen trousers
with a button-down printed shirt tucked
in paired with platform pumps would make for a fashionable entrance. It won’t look too overdone, yet with the right accessories you are sure to wow, even with the relaxed and modest fit. To make this look pop, don’t be afraid to put a little color in your step and in your hands. You can pair this look with a bright bag
and/or bright shoes
for a bit of color. Harem pants make wearing trousers easy for the girl who isn’t into skinny jeans! Check those out too, we’ve seen great ones at Forever21
Popping into a bit of color is always really fun, too. If you aren’t afraid of skinny jeans, you can try pairing blue or bright pink pants with a polka dot blouse
. However, if you’d prefer to ease into color by wearing pastels, you can always do a reverse pop and wear a pastel mint or pastel pink pant with a bright floral top. See an example below from Zara
. This type of outfit will give off an effortless and chic vibe that’s sure to be a hit on the red carpet. What’s best is you can easily pair this with black heels you’ve likely already got in your closet!
Cigarette pant and floral top by Zara.
Whatever you choose to wear at FFF, to dress up and mind the season! Black is always a staple at fashion shows, but, don’t be afraid to wear floral prints, pastels, bright colors and nudes with great right accessories. Play around with “arm-stacking” your bangles and accessorizing with statement necklaces. Shoes need not be black or nude--enjoy livening up your feet with some color! If you need more inspiration, check out our Pinterest board
, or better yet, create your own!
We look forward to seeing you at Fashion Fighting Famine. To purchase your tickets, click here